Thursday, November 26, 2009

Holiday Wreaths

Hi!

I don't know if you're excited about a craft post, but I certainly am!

I have been spending some time at my mother's house for the last two weeks. Of course, what do Mom and I DO when we get together? We craft!

Since it is so close to the winter holidays (i.e. Christmas) we've been working on various Christmas projects. We've been working on Christmas presents and decorations. This post will be all about wreath making!

I actually stole my idea from an Etsy project that I fell in love with a few weeks ago. I have an adoration for owls and decided to look around for an idea incorporating owls and wreaths. I found this wreath by Red Marionette (for $55 - 75). Cute!

Here is a list of what you will need for this project:

12 - 14" styrofoam (rounded) wreath
yarn
hot glue gun
hot glue
felt
embroidery thread
embroidery needle
popsicle sticks

Optional Items:
white pom poms
garland or ribbon

foam snowflakes
holiday decor (bells, Poinsettia sprays, Holidays leaves, berry sprigs, flat ornaments such as snowflakes)

First, unroll a whole bunch of yarn by winding it around your palm.

Take one end of the unrolled yarn and attach it to either the back or top of your styrofoam wreath using a dab of hot glue. To keep from burning my fingers, I held each side of the yarn and pulled it down onto the hot glue, holding in it place until it was dry. Then I snipped off the extra.

Wrap the yarn tightly around the wreath until you run out of yarn and lightly glue the end.

Repeat until the wreath is completely covered. It took me about 2 hours!

I'm sorry I don't have pictures of the finished yarn wrapped wreath!

The next step is to make your cute little felt guys. I chose the owls, as I stated above. I made a template so my owls would be similar in size (and symmetrical).

After I cut out the cute little felt owls, I sewed them together by hand using the embroidery thread (matching closely to the felt color) and needle.

I then took some fuzzy yarn and wrapped it around the bottom of the wreath where the owls would sit to make it look like snow.

Before mounting the owls to the wreath, I wrapped silver garland around the wreath to add a little bling to it.

My next step was to secure a piece of the popsicle stick to the back of each owl by sewing them on. I then mounted the owls onto the wreath using hot glue.

I then arranged various faux holiday flowers and stuff around the wreath until I looked like I wanted. I also added white pom poms around the owls feet to look like snowballs. I went a little crazy on mine. Oops. I also added some foam snowflakes for fun.

As you can see from the pictures, Mom made two wreaths with blue yarn and snowmen. She made a mini wreath (with a shorter snowman) and a larger wreath.

We also made a wreath for Mema using red, gold and green. We made a red felt dove with a gold and red beaded tail and glittery feather wing.

Oh. And my all green owl is Bernard. The green owl with purple wings is Gertrude. I can't wait to welcome them to my front door!

No comments: